Derived from the English word “bridge” which means “bridge”, the bridge is a fixed prosthesis that leans on abutment teeth to replace a lost or badly damaged tooth. For this, we say that this technique is irreversible.
What is a Dental bridge ?
When one or more teeth are missing, and the area is surrounded by crowned teeth or need to be crowned, it is possible to weld on these teeth an artificial tooth in suspension, which rests neither on the bone, nor on the gum. This avoids the installation of an implant.
Here is the example of a bridge of 3 teeth: a tooth with a pivot on the second premolar, a crown on the second molar, and between the two, an artificial molar bridged in bridge with the two aforementioned teeth.
If the two teeth surrounding the missing space are healthy: it will be necessary to devitalize and mutilate to replace only one. In this case, the implant would probably have been a better choice. If both teeth are to be treated, however, the bridge becomes interesting.
These bridges can be of different types:
– The metal bridge, which because of its unsightly color, will be rarely used for the replacement of anterior tooth.
– The metal-ceramic bridge, whose metal cap is covered with ceramic.
– The ceramic-ceramic bridge, entirely made of ceramic.
– The vestibular inlay bridge, where only the vestibular part is ceramic or resin.
There are also bridges “glued” to support teeth, slightly ground, but they must be in excellent health. The risk of failure, and especially loosening, is a little higher than average. It is also possible to rely on implants to support the artificial tooth in suspension: the bridge is then called ” implanted “.
Should we prefer it to an implant?
The advantages of bridge
– The bridge can replace several teeth at a time
– Its price is generally much more affordable than that of implants
– The teeth are very aesthetic and go unnoticed.
The disadvantages of the bridge
– Sometimes you have to sacrifice two healthy teeth.
– She is badly reimbursed by social security.
– The tooth being in suspension, the bone of the gum is likely to retract due to lack of stimulation and future implantation of an implant will be compromised.
The advantages of the implant
– It leaves the teeth that surround it intact.
– Its maintenance is much simpler.
– It stimulates the bone during chewing and does not cause its degeneration.
The disadvantages of the implant
– The price is often high.
– He is not reimbursed by social security.
– The procedure is long.
The laying of a bridge
The laying of a bridge is done in several ways but overall it follows this path:
1) The dentist treats the missing area or extracts the remaining tooth tip.
2) He then performs the dental impression with a paste so that a prosthetist makes the bridge.
3) During the 3 rd meeting, we proceed to the installation of the bridge, which is very fast.
How much does a bridge cost?
The price of a bridge depends on the material chosen, the type of bridge, the fees of the dentist, prior examinations … In all cases, the practitioner must submit a quote. On average, here are the prices:
- Bridged dental bridge: between 700 and 1200 €
- Bridge on implant: between 700 and 1200 €
- Bridge on crown or inlay-core: between 1200 and 2000 €
- Crown: between 500 and 1500 € per crown