Table of Contents
- Diabetic Neuropathy
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Autonomic Neuropathy
- Proximal Neuropathy
- Focal Neuropathy
- Other Diabetes Nerve Damage
Diabetes effects nervous system in number of ways. Among them neuropathy is very painful and can happen in number of ways. The difficulty arises because of the regular increase in the blood sugar level that lasts for longer time. To cure this disease you must need to consult a doctor who advices you about the preventive measures.
Diabetic neuropathy can be classified in to four major class which are:
The body parts which are mostly affected by this type include legs and feet. While in some cases it may affect abdomen, arms, and back of the individual.
Symptoms Peripheral Neuropathy
- Tingling is the first sign of peripheral neuropathy
- After that numbness including both temporary and permanent
- Burning which may be sever in the late evening
- Pain in different parts of the body
To get your health back you need to control your blood sugar level. Medications are available to control the discomfort.
What you should do:
- On daily basis check your legs and feet and if you are felling anything wrong then examine other parts of your body as well.
- Avoid drying of the feet by using proper lotion
- Always care your toenails properly and use to visit doctor once in a week.
- Avoid feet injury by wearing proper shoes that cover the entire feet and don’t harm you.
In that particular case the digestive system and particularly the stomach is affected. Additionally it affects the urinary system, bladder, blood vessels and sex organs as well.
Symptoms of Autonomic Neuropathy in Stomach
- Bloating is the primary cause of autonomic neuropathy
- Diarrhea can be seen in some cases
- While in some severe cases constipation may occur
- Heartburn can be felt which may be permanent or uneven
- Nausea and vomiting are often indication of autonomic neuropathy
- Feeling full of stomach even after taking very small meal
What you should do: All you can do is to take small meals and treat your condition with proper medications.
Symptoms In blood vessels:
- The blood vessels look blackish when you stand up quickly
- Irregular heartbeat
- Dizziness and sudden sleep
- The systolic blood pressure further lower and cause uneven heartbeat
- Nausea leads to vomiting
- Felling the same effects during eating such as full even after taking small meal
If you have it: Don’t stand up too quickly. Additionally you need special stockings and need medication to reduce the risks.
In most of the males dry or reduce ejaculation occurs. In some cases the individual don’t have the ability to hold ejaculation and erection.
What you should do: you need to consult a physician because there are enormous reasons behind diabetes for autonomic neuropathy.
- Proper counseling is mandatory
- Injections or penile implant is necessary
- Use vacuum erection device
- All the prescribed medicines
Symptoms commonly include lowering in vaginal lubrication and less orgasms.
What you should do:
Visit your doctor on regular basis
Creams relating vaginal estrogen creams, rings and suppositions. Use medications which help in sex and release pain. Use lubricants during sex.
In the Urinary System:
- Feeling trouble in vacating bladder
- Bloating is also a common symptom
- Uneven incontinence which means leaking of urine
- Need more bathroom visit specially at night
What you should do: Visit your doctor to get guide about the medications.
Proper medication is required. Self-catheterization and use catheter to purge out urine from the bladder. In severe cases you need a surgery.
This type can be easily felt as a pain in the hip, thigh and buttocks region. Along with this weakness in the legs is common observation. Almost every individual suffering from proximal neuropathy needs proper treatment. The common treatment include physical therapy and proper mediation.
It is known to attack suddenly and usually affects some specific nerves, and sever pain can be felt in head, legs and torso.
- Irregularity in the vision such as double vision
- Sever pain in eyes
- One sided face paralysis is often seen such as Bell’s palsy
- Pain in specific areas such as in the lower back region
- Sever pain in the chest area which may lead to other dangerous affects such as appendicitis and heart attack
What you should do: Visit your doctor and inform him about all the symptoms because focal neuropathy is commonly unpredictable and painful. But luckily it can be curable and improve by itself. It doesn’t damage your body for longer time.
Other Diabetes Nerve Damage
Diabetes may induce other nervous disorders as well. Common example is nerve compressions. The carpal tunnel syndrome is also diabetes induced nervous disorder. It commonly causes tingling and numbness in the hands. Additionally muscles become weak and sever pain is observed
You can get more information from the following links