Have you ever awake up during night due to night sweats? This is a common term and number of people awake up during night to find the bedding and bed cloths drenched, even during cool hours. Although, this atypical sweating is irritating, but is harmless and no need to worry a lot about this uneven sweating.
However, in some case night sweats can be a sign of some other medical condition, so you must need to see you GP, if sweating keeps happening and causes a worry. Moreover, you can get possible idea about you sweating by reading some stuff including night sweats.
Nocturnal Hyperhidrosis, is the medical term used to describe night sweats, which latterly means “excessive sweating at night time”.
Causes of night sweats
There are a number of reasons behind night sweats, although most of them also notify other medical conditions, are summarized as:
- During menopause night sweats are common
- Obstructive sleep apnoea, causes interrupted breath during night
- Night sweats can be a side effects of some medications like antidepressants, such as aspirin and steroid drug prednisolone
- Drug misuse or alcohol abuse, like heroine
- Low blood sugar level (hypoglycemia), which is normally associated with insulin and diabetes
- Infections due to tuberculosis are the most common cause of night sweats, but other infections may also be the cause behind night sweats like, osteomyelitis (a bone infection), endocarditis (inflammation of the valves of the hearts), HIV/AIDS and abscesses.
- Night sweats can be early symptoms of some kind of cancer, such as leukemia or lymphoma: however, this is a general case, besides this there are number of other symptoms associated with cancer, including unintentional weight loss.
- Some hormone disorder such as carcinoid syndrome and pheochromocytome and an overactive thyroid gland.
- The stomach leaks during gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD), which might enter into the gullet, although night sweats are not as much common, but they may happen.
However, they may not be one possible and identified cause of your night sweat, or it might be just an irritation which happens every now and then. If the cause of night sweat is unknown then it is referred to as idiopathic hyperhidrosis.
The excessive sweating in some people during both, day and night is called hyperhidrosis. It don’t pose serious threats to the body, but publically it might be distressing and embarrassing. Most of the people with heavy sweating, are too embarrassed that they seek medical help to improve their health. However, there is a simple rule to avoid excessive sweating, change your life style, or use antiperspirant.