Oily skin is thick, gleaming and dismal; and is also mostly accompanied by pimples, blemishes and acne if you are in your teenage years. The only brighter side is that this skin type shows wrinkles and fine lines gradually, as compared to other skin types.
Oily skin is a by-product of extra active and over-productive sebaceous glands. As a consequence of excess oil being produced, it gives the skin a greasy shine and a coarse look.
Oily skin is common in adolescent years, because of hormonal changes/adjustments. Hormonal shifts during pregnancy and menopause can also at times lead to an oily skin. And of course we cannot rule out our dietary habits, and if you are the unfortunate one, it could be genetic also.
Measures to get rid of Oily skin –
If not gifted with that magical skin, then the best thing to do is to take measures to keep the skin pores from getting clogged and forming acne.
- Stick to the experts advice- cleanse your face two to three times daily with a good medicated soap, one which works well with your skin.
- If possible, use a water based non-comedogenic product that easily and effectively dissolves sebum.
- Go for an oil free moisturizer to maintain a shine free complexion. Oily skin benefits if luke warm water is used to cleanse as it loosens the dirt easily.
If you are going for a date, and do not want that greasy, coarse look; then before applying make-up, use an antiseptic day cream which contains benzyl peroxide as it reduces sebaceous secretions.
More easy implementable solution for oily skin are
- Apply a slight cucumber juice on unreasonably oily portions of face, dry it systematically and then apply makeup. You will definitely get that great glowing look.
- But yes, do not get carried away with your evening memories so much, that you forget to remove your make up before going to bed which is a must. Rice flour mixed with curd is an effective cleansing milk which removes stale make up and cleans open pores.
- Look out!!! You might be on a wrong diet. People aggrieved with oily skin should go in for a protein rich diet, but restricted in sugar and salt. Take plenty of leafy green vegetables and fresh fruits. Cut down on animal fat, fatty foods, alcohol and junk food. Some doctors believe that an increased consumption of iodine aggravates acne and they suggest reduced consumption of iodized salt. And not to forget, the 8-10 glasses of water daily to keep the skin hydrated and to flush out toxins.
- Do not miss your daily dose of exercise. Exercise assistances skin as it increases circulation and reassures blood flow and wipes the skin from within.
- Studies have shown a connection between stress and acne as during stress, the sebaceous glands flare up. So relax, lead a stress free life. Yoga helps.
Oily skin ages best of all the skin types as it is less vulnerable. Proper care must be taken to maintain the health and vitality of this often abused organ.