Table of Contents
- Types of Soft tissues Sarcoma
- Causes of Soft Tissue Sarcomas
- Signs and Symptoms of Sarcoma
- Diagnosing Soft Tissue Sarcomas
- Treatment of Soft Tissue Sarcomas
Soft tissues sarcoma affects the tissues which connect, surround and support the body structures. It is rare type of cancer.
It can affect different tissues which include muscle, fats, deep, blood vessels, tendons, skin tissues and ligaments.
Sarcoma can develop in any part pf the body including your arms, legs and trunk as well.
Types of Soft tissues Sarcoma
Many types of soft tissues sarcoma are known, which depends on location of sarcoma inside the body. The common examples include:
- Liposarcomas: These develops in fatty tissues
- Leiomyosarcomas: These develop in muscle tissues normally
- Angiosarcomas: These usually develop in the cells of lymph vessels and blood
- Gastrointestinal Sarcomas: These are known to develop in the connective tissues of digestive system
Soft tissues sarcoma is common in UK and almost 3 out of 100 cancer cases are diagnosed as soft tissues sarcoma.
Causes of Soft Tissue Sarcomas
Cancer is a condition when uncontrollable production of cells occur. In most of the cases real cause of soft tissues sarcoma is unknown. There are numerous factors which increases the risk of developing a cancer.
- No age limit is defined for sarcomas to happen, because they can affect people of any age, but are more common in older people.
- Some genetic problems also increases the risk of sarcomas which include the most common neurofibromatosis and retinoblastoma.
- If you are previously exposed to radiotherapy for some other type of cancer then you are more likely to develop a cancer.
- Some chemicals are too toxic to develop a sarcoma which include, dioxins, vinyl chloride and phenoxyacetic herbicides.
The sarcoma which develops in skin cells is given special name called Kaposi’s sarcoma. This is caused by a virus known as human herpes type 8, mostly infect those individuals who have poor immune system.
Signs and Symptoms of Sarcoma
The soft tissues sarcoma can develop in any body part so they can cause number of symptoms which include:
Tumor which is found near the stomach can cause severe abdominal pain.
Likewise tumor fond near lungs can cause breathlessness and cough.
No clear symptoms of sarcoma appear at the earliest stage, a lump may appear which looks like a soft tissue inflammation but can be triggered with the passage of time. Consult with your doctor if you find any of the above mentioned symptoms to diagnose the sarcoma as soon as possible.
Diagnosing Soft Tissue Sarcomas
In case of feeling of sarcoma, you may be referred to hospital where you are subjected to different tests to confirm the soft tissues sarcoma.
The diagnoses is entirely based on the symptoms and only a medical specialist can diagnose sarcoma. It may also depend on the physical examination.
- Biopsy can be done with the help of needle to remove suspected tissues and then analyzed in the laboratories.
- The common imaging test such as MRI scan can be done to assess the soft tissues sarcoma.
If sarcomas are confirmed then these test are also used to get the details of how far it is spread.
Treatment of Soft Tissue Sarcomas
The most appropriate treatment is decide by you medical specialist. The treatment depends on different factors such as grade and stage of sarcoma, location of sarcoma, general health and the most important is your age. The common treatment includes:
- To remove the sarcoma completely surgery is the best solution
- High energy radiations are used to destroy the cancer cells in radiotherapy
- Finally the sarcomas can be prevented and destroyed with the use of medicines known as chemotherapy