Tyrosine refers to the class called amino acids the building blocks of the structural component of body i.e. proteins. Human body get its tyrosine from another amino acid the phenylalanine. It is also the main constituent of dairy products, fish, nuts, meat, eggs, wheat and oats.
Tyrosine is the man constituent of protein supplements that are used to treat he common inherited disorder i.e. phenylketonuria. People having this disorder are unable to make the phenylalanine and hence are unable to generate the tyrosine as well. To meet the requirement of the body the tyrosine is advisable.
People normally use the tyrosine for depression, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), attention deficit disorder, narcolepsy a condition in which the person is unable to stay awake and also to improve the alertness. Tyrosine can also be used against stress, Parkinson disease, premenstrual syndrome, Alzheimer’s disease, to withdraw cocaine and alcohol, chronic fatigue syndrome, for stroke and heart diseases, to treat the loss of interest in the sex, erectile dysfunction and also as an appetite suppressant. It is observed that some people also use the tyrosine on their skin to get rid of the wrinkles.
How Does Tyrosine Works
The chemicals in the tyrosine are known to make the messengers that results in the alertness.
Tyrosine Effective For
- People with PKU are known to have lower levels of tyrosine in their body. According to physician a PKU individual must consume 6 g per 100 g of proteins to improve their normal levels of tyrosine.
- In the early time it was suggested that consuming tyrosine 2 hours before any test doesn’t improve the mood or any kind of speed reaction in healthy people to visual and noise stimuli. But it is reported that tyrosine has the ability to improve the performance under stressful conditions.
- In the same vain the tyrosine doesn’t help in improving memory in healthy people. But tyrosine can improve memory under conditions of stress such as multitasking or cold stress.
- It improve in alertness such as loss of sleep. It is estimated that taking 150mg/Kg of tyrosine in those individuals improve the alertness who have lost their night sleep. Additionally it is proved that tyrosine helps in improving memory in those individuals who are actually sleep deprived.
Tyrosine Ineffective For
- Using tyrosine against attention deficient disorder doesn’t improve the symptoms.
- In the same way taking it through mouth doesn’t improve the childhood ADHD.
- Taking it through mouth doesn’t known to improve the depression.
- It is known that takin tyrosine while participating in load carriage doesn’t improve your strength. In the same way taking it without poydextrose 70 doesn’t improve your performance during cycling.
Precautions & Warnings for Tyrosine Usage:
Breast Feeding and Pregnancy: There is no report that link the healthy effects of tyrosine with pregnancy and breast feeding. So stay on the safe side.
Graves’ disease, Overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism): The human body uses tyrosine to make the thyroid hormone thyroxine. The use of tyrosine in excess may increase the amount of thyroxine and as a result hyperthyroidism occurs. This in turn worsen the Graves’ disease. If you think that you have any of the above condition then don’t take tyrosine.
- TYROSINE interaction with Levodopa: The tyrosine and levodopa interact with each other so don’t take them at the same time because the tyrosine decrease the effectiveness of levodopa.
- TYROSINE interaction with Thyroid hormone interacts with: The human body produces the thyroid hormone naturally. Tyrosine increase the secretion of thyroid hormone. Takin tyrosine along with the thyroid pills excessively increase the thyroid hormone. This possibly increase the side effects of thyroid hormones.
Tyrosine can be taken in the following dosages.
- To improve the alertness after whole night without sleep use 150mg/Kg of the day
- For those individuals who are suffering with PKU the recommended dose is 6 g per 100 g of the total proteins consumed.